Subscribe to the Barossa Nursery Newsletter
Subscribe to the Barossa Nursery Newsletter, to stay up to date with everything that is happening at Barossa Nursery. Receive special deals and handy gardening tips in your inbox.
We respect your priviacy
Autumn is a fantastic time in the garden. In temperate areas of the country, April gardens are a delight as the beautiful display of foliage colour begins. In South Australia any risk of extreme heat is subsiding, and the cooler nights bring relief for gardens and gardeners alike.
April is the perfect planting month. The earth is still warm and moist, and the days are very pleasant to be enjoying some great outdoor gardening activity.
Gardening Jobs for April:
• April is a busy month in the flower garden clearing up the last of the summer annuals and preparing ground and planting autumn/winter varieties.
• Fertilise now to resurrect your summer lawn and you can still plant lawns in the early part of the month prior to the soil temperature dropping too low.
•April is the time to plant flowering annuals such as Alyssum, Calendulas, Dianthus, Delphiniums, Forget Me Nots, Lobelias, Pansies, Primulas, Snapdragons, Stocks, Sweet Peas and violas. Check with us at Barossa for the best local advice.
• Planting of spring flowering bulbs is still happening for the harvest of colour ahead. Mix bulb food into the soil when planting – this will get them off to a good start once the roots start developing.
• Lots of winter flowering shrubs and trees are beginning to arrive at Barossa this month – this is the ideal time to plant as it gives the plant time to establish and firm up in the ground before the onset of winter. Remember to stake tall trees when planting.
• Prune back and fertilise shrubs and climbers as they finish flowering.
• Plant up pots and containers for autumn and winter colour. Always use premium quality potting mix and feed weekly with a liquid or soluble flowering plant food.
• New season’s roses will be soon arriving.
• Order fruiting and ornamental trees now for the upcoming season.
In the Veggie Patch
|Asian Greens||Asian Greens||Artichoke||Artichoke|
*Including Rosemary, Sage, Thyme, Marjoram, and Oregano.